This series will be articles about SEC teams, and previewing how their 2017 campaign could go and reasons why the could or could not succeed.
You may be upset all you want, But even the Alabama haters know that the road to the college playoffs go through Alabama. And here are the reasons why Alabama will win the SEC once again.
- And probably the biggest reason. The defense, It will reload just as it does every single season. The loses of Tim Williams at OLB, Jonathan Allen at DE, Marlon Humphrey at CB, Ryan Anderson on the other side playing OLB, and the captain of it all in Reuben Foster all being drafted in the 2017 NFL Draft. If it was any other team lost those amount of play makers and stars on one side of the ball it wouldn’t be the same the following year. But Saban and Alabama are just a different breed of college football. They always seem to reload on the defense every year. Da’Shawn Hand, The player coming into the place of Allen. Hand was a 5 star recruit that would of started on just about every other team in the nation except for Texas A&M and Tenn considering they had Garrett and Barnett. Both top 15 NFL draft picks as well. Shaun Dion Hamilton will take over and command of the ILB position that once was held by Foster. ( A top 10 pick if it wasn’t for a injury and off the field issues ) Hamilton plays just like Foster with scents for the run. Hamilton is a great run blocker. But Hamilton is also very good against the pass. As well as dialing up the right plays at the right time. But what makes Hamilton on top and with talks about being a top ILB is his ability to get sideline to sideline. Rather that be against the run setting the edge or against the pass. Anfernee Jennings is a extremely talented pass rusher and will take over the OLB spot for Williams. Minkah Fitzpatrick will play either safety or corner, He has the ability to cover wide receivers man to man and the play making ability to play safety against the run and pass.
- Alabama is known for their recruiting classes year after year being top 2 every year. This year they hold the number 1 spot for recruiting once again. Saban brings in the number 1 overall prospect in running back Najee Harris. To put it in prospective Alabama as 8 of the top 100 prospects and 15 of the top 200 players of the 2017 class and 2 of the top 10 juco transfers. Alabama finished 2017 with the number 1 recruiting class, the number 1 class of 2016. And the number 2 class of 2015. Recruiting is very big to Alabama’s success.
- Jalen Hurts, he ended the 2016 campaign with 35 total touchdown and close to 3500 yards. But in the playoffs he didn’t play as well. Only getting 2 total touchdowns and less than 300 yards in the 2 playoff games. But coming into 2017 he comes in with more experience and the confidence to build on to come in and be a better QB. Hurts also as the threat of his legs. Being a great running QB. Hurts is more of a running back when he runs. He doesn’t shy away against contact and can actually carry and or fall forwards when hit.
- Bo Scarbrough could very well be in the heisman watch. He hasn’t played a lot of games, So his legs are fresh coming into 2017. In the 1st game of the playoffs he ran the ball 19 times for 180 yards and 3 touchdowns. In the National Championship he once again was having a big game with 16 carries for 93 yards and 2 touchdowns. But then he got injured when he got his ankle rolled up on. Once he left, Alabama’s offense was never the same during that game. You could say if he stayed in the game Alabama wins the game. Clemson had no answer for him. Bo reminds a lot of Alabama fans of Derrick Henry. A heisman trophy winner.
- Nick Saban, It’s pretty easy to say that Saban is the best coach in college football today. And has been for some time, The record proves of it. Before the loss to Clemson in the Championship game Saban was 5-o. Alabama has been a powerhouse and arguably the number 1 team in college for years and to be the best you have to beat the Tide. And the biggest reason for the success at Alabama is because of Nick Saban.
Because of these 5 reasons, Alabama will not only be in the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row but also be in the championship game and win it all once again.