I know it’s early considering the Titans just finished week 11 for them. But one thing that’s always fun to talk about is the off-season and the possibilities of what could possibly happen. So I’ll explain my thoughts and reasons on what I would do if I were in charge of this off-season for the Titans.
- First off I would obviously look into the coaching changes. But let’s say Amy doesn’t allow me to make a change there. There for i’m stuck with Mike for the duration of the next season. (SUCKS)
- Looking past that, I’ll look at my roster and check off where I believe we are good at and where we will need help. The good are the tackle spots, Lewan and Conklin will be the pieces to build around for this team for the next decade on. I’m set at running back since Murray is still under contract and Henry is still on his rookie deal. I would however attempt to see if Murray would take a little bit of a pay cut since the next year I would fully expect Henry to be the starter. Wide outs/ Tight ends, We are good there for sure with the likes of Matthews, Davis, Taylor, and Sharpe all coming back. The real question would be should I try and attempt to resign Decker. ( This will all depend on the deal he would want ) If not look for a depth (WR) in free agency or later in the draft. Tight ends are set with Walker and Smith as the 1 and 2 (TE). That cleans up the offense since keeping Marcus as the starter is the obvious choice. Now moving on to the defense, The defense is the tricky part here. Mainly due to the fact we only have three (3) legit pieces we can build around for the now and future. Casey, Byard and Jackson/ Ryan. Obviously Byard and Jackson are on rookie deals and will most likely get 2nd contracts to stay with the team. Ryan being drafted in 2013 is still young And can still produce good outside. Casey being the oldest but is still playing very well signed a four (4) year contract deal that takes him to 2023. Other than them we are looking at either rotational players (Klug, Williams, Johnson on the DL) and you could make an argument that Williamson the LB is replacable. Then you have to look at the aging players. Orakpo, Morgan, Woodyard. With their contracts ending in 2019 and 2020. It could be best to possibly look at replacing them, or trading them for a draft pick.
- Biggest questions on the Titans offense in free agency would be the interior offensive line. Now I mentioned last year it would be a good idea to look into but Robinson thought other wise. So this year since i’d be taking over I wouldn’t look past it. Players Kline, Spain, And Schwenke contracts expires in 2018. I would re-sign Kline before Spain and obviously Schwenke. That puts the right guard position settled. Back up center/ guard and starting guard is a bit different. There’s nothing on the free agent market that’s going to be an upgrade over Spain. So unless someone gets released i’ll be re-signing Spain.
- Who would I re-sign overall. I would re-sign Succop, Kline, Spain, Schwenke, Decker ( On a small deal ) and Jones. None of this players would demand a lot of money for their respective position.
- Now onto the defense, I think we need someone opposite Casey, I got my eyes on Lawrence from the Cowboys, Though it won’t be easy considering he is having a great season. Lawrence has 12 sacks on the year, Would I might have to overpay for him? Possibly but I believe it would be the right move. Now onto the linebackers, Not much for the outside pass rushers, Look inside since Williamson is a free agent as well this season. Maybe a Navarro Bowman who has played in 8 games and as 70 tackles and 3 quarterback hits, Or maybe Demario Davis, Davis has played in 10 games and as totaled 82 tackels, 4 sacks, and 10 quarterback hits. Both players under 30 and still have between 3 to 5 years left. I would send offers to both players and see where they stand and would go from there. I would like Davis just a bit more but would gladly take either one. I wouldn’t bother with signing a corner in free agency, The 2 biggest names could be Johnson of the Rams, and Butler of the Pats. But Johnson of the Rams has a grade of 48.5 so far. Butler we could possibly go after but he would want big time money, And he is grading out at a 75. Not big time money worthy. But I would toss a offer for Butler that would be fair but not a big time money.
- Moving onto the draft. As of now the Titans are picking at number 25. So let’s go based on that pick there. Obviously the players like Mcfadden, Fitzpatrick, Harrison, James in the secondary will be gone. Players like Key, Laundry, Chubb will be gone as well for the pass rushers. So I would look into Vea and Payne possibly to play the NT. If they’re not there possibly look at Wilkins from Clemson, Or Ward at corner from OSU. Or even Hurst from Michigan to play NT as well. In the 2nd that’s when I could possibly look at Guard or a defensive back for sure. Maybe a Jaire Alexander from Louisville to play the slot corner or Jackson from Iowa, Jackson would be a big slot corner at 6’1 192. But has good ball skills. As for guards possibly Hernandez from UTEP or Billy Price from OSU.
That’s what I would do if I was the GM for the Titans in the up coming off-season.